Students should talk, don't dim a kid's light, and Sanditon
Finally, I got up at the time I should, and I have a few minutes of grace to collect myself before catapulting out of the house. Getting back into the school-time routine takes a bit, especially now-- I'm not young and full of zip. I'm older, and really wishing I could just hang out and drink coffee and watch the birds. It's unfortunate that those who can afford to do jack-squat with their adult lives are plotting to raise the retirement age again. I wish them dysentery.
Anyhow. We move along with Grendel and Chaucer and so on with the Brit Lit kids. A few talked yesterday, so I'll count that as a win. AP Lang is a lot more fun; those kids are fun to be with, they get stuff pretty quickly, and they talk.
Yes, I want students to talk. I am not in the biz to pontificate. I want to know, first hand, what they see, what they question, what they are confused by. Sitting like a group of avocadoes in the rows is no help to anyone.
And you'd think I'd welcome some quiet-- Holly is a nonstop chatterer. I'm a puzzle, I know.
Holly had a good visit to her new school yesterday, I'm told, but she was disappointed with the playground (which is due for some repairs quite soon). I may surprise her once or twice a week if the weather is good and we'll go to the park playground. It's literally yards away, so after school, we can have a snack at the park as long as it's not too cold/wet/gross out. They assured Meg that they'll make sure Holly has work that will challenge her; she is the oldest in the group, and she's already well ahead of where most pre-K kids are. I don't want to see her get bored and hate school. Or be a problem. Or both.
I ordered her some new books this week, too. Not that books solve everything, but they sure help. At least, that's my opinion-- and I'm sticking with it. She's two weeks past the cutoff for Kindergarten, and she's already pre-reading, doing simple addition, and is making up stories, songs, jokes... she's bright and funny, and I will not have her light dimmed by anything. Or anyone. (insert Memere growl)
I finished all of season one of Sanditon, only to find out the rest is locked out if one does not have the streaming upgrade for PBS. Damnit. I might just buy the three-season dvd set. It was gloriously escape-like for me this week.
And so it goes, eh? Real life is not so lush and fraught with unrequited/requited but impossible love, eh?
Have a good day, friends. Hugs,
C
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!