Rain, lots of applesauce, and a follow up to yesterday's rant...
Another rainy start to the day-- I hope that this rain, coupled with the not-very-cold temps and a little bonus sunshine might plump up the last of the squash. Or should I say almost first of it? The growing season is never quite long enough.
I made a big pan of applesauce yesterday. Ninety minutes of peeling and cutting apples-- it takes longer, since we don't spray our trees, and the bird and bug nips, bruises, etc. need to be pared off. That said, I have six pint containers cooled in the fridge. I still have four bags of apples to go, so I can reasonably assume another ten to twelve. Next up: figuring out how I'm going to get those all in the freezer. A good problem, to be sure, but it will take a little organizing. We have strawberries frozen. Blueberries frozen. And meat, of course-- but down in the bottom there are big things, like a turkey and a couple of hams. One of those will likely get taken out to thaw and cook up-- a festive meal, even without a holiday. I hate to, though-- the price of meat is not great, but I have all this sauce... you get the picture.
And it seems that the public outcry and disgust about the Cornell situation has caused the authorities some discomfort. GOOD. And they will be reopening the case, as the victim has filed a major lawsuit. GOOD. We wouldn't want those "fine young men" to achieve positions of authority, so they can whitewash their crimes and continue to be horrid humans. LIKE SO MANY HAVE BEFORE THEM.
Okay, I am shouting a bit. But it's something that we need to confront, eyes wide open.
That all said, I got a chance to see Holly on her way to school this morning. She was getting into their car, but first bidding a hearty good morning to the neighbors' cats. She looks so happy and cute and confident. Ponytail swinging, cute little fall-themed sweater and jeans... she's the reason I get so damned angry. She, and thousands of little ones like her, need us. Turning a blind eye, or giving in and giving up, are not viable options. She's precious. All the little ones are. In fact, we all are.
God help us to do the hard things.
I hope you have a good day, friends. Keep safe. Keep the faith. Be loud.
C
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!