Keeping Life Simple-- it's too complicated out there


Song: Simple Gifts (ft. Yo-Yo Ma and Allison Krauss)

Rainy/damp start to this Sunday. I'm glad we don't have plans to go to the fair or any other outdoor-specific stuff. It's supposed to be nice later on, though, so G can likely finish the woodshed and put the first ton of pellets under cover. We'll be getting two more, but not until November-- they are backordered. But we are on the list, so we'll get 'em. The price on pellets is relatively stable, but omg the price of heating oil is horrid. We got the tank topped off the other day, and it was 5.65.9 (why can't they just say 5.66?) a gallon. Ugh. To hear over and over again that the "conflict" (war) in the Middle East is "small potatoes" and to be told that someone in a high place just won't believe that all of this upheaval is disrupting people's lives/ wallets is so irritating. 

Nothing is safe, eh? Food, medicines, transportation, costs of basic needs... it goes on and on and on. 

To hear that we have passed the point of no return, the point where we could have maybe stopped the worst of the damages due to climate disruption, is scary, too. 

G suggested we might skip church and go out for breakfast early, but I said no. I need one stable thing to start the week, and church is it. I need to know that there's something I can rely on, the familiar prayers and liturgy, the hymns, the intentional silence. All good things, all necessary things, to help me try to keep my fears in a box. The box is getting bigger every day, it seems, but at least it's a box. 

Today is also the last day of G's vacation week, and I think he's had a good enough time of it. I've been at work for most of it, so he's been puttering about, napping, and hanging out with the dog. We went to the movies and to the theatre, so that was a little bit of extra fun, too. I wish we could go and do amazing things, once-in-a-lifetime things, but time/budget/physical ability to do so is just not there. So, we try to make our simple little life a little more safe, a little more comfortable, and that will have to do. Mostly, that's fine. 

I have tomorrow off, and I intend to bake. I have invited Holly over to help make sourdough cinnamon bread and banana bread. I have a cleaning project in mind-- her play corner in the den is a mess-- but that's about it. I was going to do a bunch of other stuff, but why? I need "down time" and the next few weeks look super busy. When are they not? I'm not going to spend Labor Day belaboring the labor I didn't get to, and the labors I will have to be engaged in. 

Have a lovely day, friends. Stay safe, grounded, and faithful. Hugs all around,

C

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "productive struggle" and a week of hard teaching...April is the cruellest month...

Easter was nice--next up...