...chilly. And tired.

It is 31 degrees, light frost-- I am not sure if the covers worked, but we'll see. At any rate, it's rather chilly, inside and out. G is going in a bit later, so he vacuumed the pellet stove out, and it's doing its job nicely, albeit later than usual. It's hard to believe it's supposed to be 70 later. Ah, fall.

The documentary last evening was good because Bishop Barron does a nice job of weaving in Catholic history, faith, and the architecture of the cathedrals in France. It was good to go out and see it, and it was equally good to be home by 6:45, at which time I grabbed dinner and watched Jeopardy, flipped through some mundane stuff on the TV (all the shows I like on Britbox and Netflix won't have new episodes for a couple more weeks), and went to bed at 9:45. This cold is dragging me down a bit, but I manage. 

Work is fine, kids are okay, but there's very little to call a spark lately. I don't know if they are all sick, or I have a whole lot of mediocre scholars in front of me. They don't speak (sophomores) unless dragged to do so. I'm almost dreading Shakespeare-- this bunch may well test my patience. We start Macbeth tomorrow. 

At any rate, the juniors are ticking along well enough, and we are making some progress. I think we are all due for a three day weekend soon-- yes, I know, it's still September-- but everyone is tired. 

I'm still waiting (well, the school is) to hear about the fed grant that funds my writing lab. I have some really good ideas about offering featured sessions weekly, if the grant comes through. In the meantime, my paycheck pays the bills, nothing more. If we don't get the grant, it'll be a pretty significant loss of income. Again. Ugh. Public educators get so little. First, they took away the stipend for teaching dual credit classes, and now, if this falls flat, it'll amount to about a 10K loss, over the course of the year. Hoorah. 

Don't ever believe "teachers are in it for the outcome, not the income." We have bills to pay, too. 

OK, enough rant. I'm warm and fed. I have a cup of coffee. All will be well enough. I just hate to see the tax dollars gilding things.

Take care, friends. Be safe. Keep the faith.

C



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "productive struggle" and a week of hard teaching...April is the cruellest month...

Easter was nice--next up...