Another great series on Britbox to recommend, and what's up for Sunday... chatty note to you

Temps are much warmer today (56), but it's pouring rain. Again. And yes, we probably do need it, but gee whiz. I wanted to go to the farmers' market. We'll see if this weather pushes off. If not, so be it. 

I've been immersed in a fun series on BritBox called Monarch of the Glen. It's funny and sweet, and, for those of us of a certain age, it sort of has Newhart vibes. At any rate, it's a pleasant diversion, of which we all have a real need, I think. Among its engaging cast is an actor that I know from Shakespearean plays, chiefly Much Ado About Nothing. Richard Briers plays the "old laird" MacDonald, and he's spot-on: funny, curmudgeonly, endearing. There are seven seasons, so I'll be set for a bit. 

Today, though, I have a stack of essays to grade. Likely some will be fine, others will be iffy, and I know there are a couple that are going to be heavy lifting (metaphorically speaking). My Brit Lit crew is not the most energetic or enthusiastic crew. It's not me, it's not the subject matter, they are just a little "young" and definitely lacking in a whole lot of background information (world history? European history? anything beyond sports?)-- it's a tough job, most days. I've yet to find the thing that will excite them. Or get them to talk, really. I have hope for a couple of them, so we'll just have to hang our hat on that fact. 

The juniors in APLang are rocking along nicely. We had a super awesome, totally unplanned group discussion about the summer reading texts. They had so much to talk about! And the connection among the topics was beautiful to see and hear! That was a good day in class. I love it when those things happen. They were a lot of fun last year as sophomores, so maybe it's a little unfair to be measuring the current crew against them. At any rate, it's at least one class I can be fully engaged with! 

But for the rest of today, I only plan to make chicken and biscuits, and I already purchased the biscuits. The ones at the Coop are far superior to anything I can make. I simmered two chicken carcasses yesterday, and set them to cooling in the fridge. I'll pick the meat later, to add veggies and gravy to, and ladle the whole comforting bit over the biscuits. There will likely be leftovers, too, so that might just solve dinner tomorrow night. And there's some leftover pork tenderloin from last night's dinner, too. I don't mind finishing up those things after a long Monday. 



I hope you have a delightful Sunday. I'm looking forward to church; it's the first Pancake Sunday of the year! The KofC fellas do a lovely job, and it's nice to see and chat with folks, too. We all need community. And maple syrup. 

Take good care. Be safe, hugs all around, and keep the faith. Maybe watch one of the things I linked. Enjoy your day with those you love, either in person or in your heart. 

C


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "productive struggle" and a week of hard teaching...April is the cruellest month...

Easter was nice--next up...