Why am I mad about food recalls and medical disruptions? Kids, that's why. And all of us.



There have been162 separate recalls made in 2026 alone (so far) for food and associated items. Add to that the upending of the vax schedule, the cuts made to necessary support systems like school lunches and medical care, and we are at a really scary tipping point in the country-- all while the roadways in DC are being prepped for a street race with cars topping 200 mph. All for...what? What the hell are we celebrating? 

I'm worried for the health and safety of not only my own family and myself, but of my students. Many of the kids in my district come from lower income families, those who can't just "grow their own food" as has been callously quipped about the food recalls. Health care costs have gone so far out of reach for so many people it's astounding. People can't take a day off to stay home with sick kids, too-- so we are likely going to have a germ incubator filled with hungry, insecure, sick kids. Can't wait. 

As it is, I bring snacks for my students. I have a constant snack basket in the closet. I bake for them. When I can, I get cases of easy-to-make foods to donate to the food pantry in our school (not that I love ramen and easy mac, but when you are a hungry 8 year old it's ease over hunger). I'm a mom. And I am righteously pissed.

The necessary investment that we must make is in our kids and their health, wellbeing, education, and safety. The current trend at the fed and state level is to disrupt all of that for... rich dudes getting richer. Don't call it "parental rights" and "fiscal responsibility"--oh, please. That is a bogus sticker placed on unbelievable greed and corruption. Sacrificing our children's welfare, and that of those who are tasked with caring for them, teaching them, and keeping them out of harm's way while their parents are working, is purely evil. 

I will be getting this year's Covid vax. And likely the flu vax. I'll keep the disinfectant wipes in the closet at work. I'll buy the snacks, bake the muffins, and do what I can. But for the sake of all of us, we need to shift our priorities to more humane things. Vote. Act. Donate. And for heaven's sake, help in whatever way you can. Most schools have an in-house food pantry now, so a donation is very helpful.  

I know I am likely hollering in an echo chamber, but it makes me so damned mad. We will have no future for the majority of us if we don't act now.

C

Comments