Time is slipping...

Downright chilly start to the day. I think we'll be unplugging and draining the pool on Sunday, to pick it up and bid farewell to the summer season. There's little chance it'll warm up enough for one more swim. I'm sad about it. 

The apples and pears are approaching ripeness; soon, I'll be sorting, peeling, and simmering them into sauce to freeze for the winter months. And I will be making herbed butter quite soon, too. How did this all sneak up on me? I haven't even begun to relax into summer mode, really, and here we are. 

Today, Meg, Holly, and I will head down to Tilton to do a little stock-up at BJs and school shopping for Holly. I already got her quite a bit of fun new stuff, but she needs basics. I can't imagine how she got so big so fast. She's an awesome little person. I'm glad she lives next door. I can't imagine missing one minute.

Yes, I'm feeling nostalgic, not just for the season that slipped by me, but for a lot of things lately. The impermanence, the chaos, the unpredictability of our current times is more than unsettling, it's dangerous. We are losing so much, things that can't be replaced. Now, it's the historic cherry trees, being cut down for another stupid golf course. Things that are iconic, things of art and beauty, of historic relevance, are all being torn down. Change is not easy, but change that does not add cultural value is a desecration. 

And I feel powerless. 

Cling to those you love, treasure your time, and keep hold of all that you hold dear. Someone is always looking to take it away.

C



Song: We Just Got Here, Carly Simon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "productive struggle" and a week of hard teaching...April is the cruellest month...

Easter was nice--next up...