On musical instruments and parenting

Wednesday. 

Did you see that the proposed 25% tariffs on imported metals will include brass instruments? An already expensive trumpet (say, $500) will cost $125 more. Yeah, way to get kids interested in marching band. And the reason? National Security. A reliance on imported copper and aluminum, etc. is going t undercut our safety. Okay, maybe, sort of. But gee whiz. 

The hits keep coming, eh? If you have an old model in the closet, you might be able to get a good price on that ol' tuba, French horn, or trombone. 

I spent years in marching band with my wooden clarinet. Yes, everyone else's were made of molded material, but my paternal grandfather had gifted me with a wooden Prueffer clarinet. It was hard to march with (heavy), and hard to keep on pitch, but I managed. I still have it. I do not still play it. I sincerely doubt anyone ever will. I should sell it. 

I didn't really like marching band. Honestly, I didn't really like band all that much. That was a mother-led decision. I also did not like piano lessons, and mercifully, I was allowed to quit those after a time. My mother was a good pianist, she was a drum majorette, and by goodness, I was going to do those things. I just had little talent in any of it. I'm glad I learned how to read music (it's helpful), and I love to sing. That was one thing my mother felt I could not do-- she once told me I couldn't "carry a tune in a bucket." Well, I didn't join chorus until my junior year in high school-- and the first thing I auditioned for was All State. And I made it. And I loved singing acapella madrigals, and I still love singing. 

My poor dad was a gifted musician, self-taught, and he tried to teach me how to play the guitar. My hands were too small to reach around the neck of the guitar to effectively hold the strings down. I tried, honestly, I did. That didn't work. But if he was disappointed in me, he never said so. He was pleased I tried, but never pushed. I appreciated that so much. And he was the one who drove me through a huge snowstorm to South Burlington for the auditions for All State. He backed my desire to try, every single time. 

I miss my dad.

Have a good day, folks. Blow your own horn. 

C



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "productive struggle" and a week of hard teaching...April is the cruellest month...

Easter was nice--next up...