Go see Rent at Weathervane if you are in shouting distance!





Yesterday turned out quite lovely. I got chores and calls done early, and Meg, Holly, and I spent a really nice day mostly outside on the deck. Holly was in the pool for three hours (with a few snack breaks, of course). And then Meg and I went to see Rent at Weathervane in Whitefield-- what a show. It was fast, complicated, and truly a tour de force. A lot to think about, a lot to unpack. 

We've both seen the show before, so it was an interesting conversation afterward on the way home to talk about what thread of the narrative that the director chose to highlight. The show debuted in 1993, and since then, some of the issues that are present in the play have waxed and waned a bit in the public eye. My take-away from this production was a focus on the marginalization of those who are homeless, and a bit of how true art is being forced to the side by "cyber creations." Of course, the omnipresent problems of drug use, AIDS/HIV, and the persecution of those in the queer community were very much the fabric of the show, as well. It's a sobering play, to be sure. The cast was brilliant, the house band is great, and the whole experience was right on the edge of overwhelming, as it should be. 

How blessed we are to live in an area where this kind of theatre is literally fifteen minutes away! 

The evening was my treat, a birthday gift for m'best girl. We got there early, got Season 61 lidded cups with an adult beverage, and sat out on the patio in front of the theatre. It was relaxing, and a perfect end to a really good day. 

Today, we are back in the saddle, as it were. Holly has swim lessons, and G is home today, so it'll be a garden/ mow grass/ dump run kind of day. I hope the pool water is warm, so I can get in today and tomorrow. Summer is speeding by, and I'm going to grab all of the fun and relaxation I can. 

I hope your day is safe and special. Hugs all around.

C


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "productive struggle" and a week of hard teaching...April is the cruellest month...

Easter was nice--next up...