Getting back into the schedule...again...
I really need to get myself back into school schedule. I stayed up far too late watching a series on Netflix called Best Medicine. It's really cute, sort of has Northern Exposure vibes. But getting up in the morning is awfully hard when you've stayed up watching TV. Every night I say I'm going to start going to bed earlier, but yeah... the allure of TV with no real consequences is there. But honestly, I have to get my body-schedule back on track. Y'know, when to pee, when to eat-- it's amazing how teachers have to hold it, wait for it, deny the urge to do...human bio things. And sleep. I know I need to go to bed a lot earlier, so 5:30 is not a horrid surprise.
Well, it's always a horrid surprise, but less horrid?
My schedule this year is blocks 2 and 3, so I don't technically have to be to work until 8:30 (blessings), and I leave at lunch (12:35). If the grant money comes in, I'll stay for lunch for writing lab time. MUCH better than block 1-- mornings are hard when the driving is bad. And I honestly do not mind throwing in laundry or sweeping floors, etc. before work-- I will have Holly after school every day, so it's nice to have a little flex time to get things done.
But I digress. On Monday, I have to be there early (PD welcome back hoorah), Tuesday, we have options to either go in early, go home, then come back for open house at 5, or go in later and just stay. I'll probably do option b, which saves on gas. Then Wednesday is the first day with students, and I feel honor-bound to be there at the open (ugh, 7:30) so I don't miss the kickoff. And the passing out of paper stuff to kids. And all that biz. So, we'll see how that all sugars off. What it all means, in practical terms, is I'd better get to bed before 10. More like, 9:30. Which is okay, mostly, because I'm usually sleepy anyhow. Just too lazy to head up the stairs.
The having to use the bathroom when you actually have to use it thing is a real drag. I don't mind stepping out of class if I really have to go, but I don't like to do that until I know I can trust the kids not to be doofuses. My Juniors know me, so that's not too bad. The Sophomores are new to me, so that will take a bit for me to get a read on them. So, it'll be National Hold It Day for a bit. O, the things people just don't know about the teacher life.
I don't mind waiting to eat until I get home, or lunchtime if I get the grant money. It'll be easier now that I don't have to have breakfast at 6am, though. I abhor eating food so early, but survival mode, eh? If I don't have to be on the road until 8am most days, that's far saner.
Can you imagine I've been doing this for now almost 40 years? Summers spoil us teachers; we can eat, pee, and sleep as we wish, or at least we can negotiate the times with no apologies. Ah, the hidden requirements, talents, and ... yeah, you get it.
My new plan book is right next to me on the desk. Pristine. Unmarked. Maybe today is the day I pencil in some stuff. I probably should. Sigh.
Have a good day, friends. If the weather is nice, and it looks like it'll be okay, I will spend time on the deck. I haven't done nearly enough of that.
C
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!