Bidding goodbye to summer vacation...sigh...




Today is the last day I can call sort of my own for a bit. I'm sad, I guess, because there are so many things I didn't do, didn't have time to do --or energy-- but still, summer was good. I wanted to read a lot more, write a lot more, and didn't really-- but I did get my manuscript into a shape that makes me think there's a book in there. I didn't kill off the weeds in the flagstones and the front walk, but I will before fall, so maybe they won't be so virulent next spring. 

I spent a lot of time with Holly; most of it was pretty good. Some, not so much, but she's four, and nervous about her new school, and she's a busy kiddo who wants interaction all the time. She's my polar opposite in that way, so we both had to embrace the discomfort at times: I need quiet time, and she needs to figure out how to entertain herself. Did we conquer reading? Not yet. But she is primed and ready. Did we manage to learn how to tie shoes? Not yet, but she's about to. She learned how to swim and float, though. And we baked a lot. There were some silly times, some snuggles, and yes, some out and out battles-- but it was, in the sum, not too bad. We'll see how next summer goes. 

In the meantime, I have to get my teacher-brain turned on. I still have my poet-and-Memere brain on, and it will stay on. I just have to figure out a comfortable way to, as Whitman puts it, "contain multitudes." 

But first, there's church today, and I'm the lector. The readings are supplemental ones today, because it's the feast day of our church patroness, St. Rose of Lima. So, I'll be reading the two (short!) readings that are associated with her. And it's church picnic day! G wants to hit up the bingo. Holly wants to play games. I just hope it doesn't rain. Oddly enough, almost every time Fr. Ryan plans something for outside, it rains. I think no one ever told him of the old-school practice of hanging one's rosary outdoors the night before to assure good weather. I'll have to tell him sometime. 

And today is the next to last Sunday in the Barn with Bob reading/open mic at Iron Furnace. I sure hope some folks come-- it's been a very small crowd each week, probably due to the change in location. Today's poet, Rodger Martin, is awesome, friendly, and fun to listen to. Please come by, if you are local. Next week, we have a double header: Bianca Stone (VT Poet Laureate) and my dear friend, Kerrin McCadden! Then, Sundays return to football. 

Have a good day, friends. Hold some hope in your head and heart. It's hard, but necessary.

C

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "productive struggle" and a week of hard teaching...April is the cruellest month...

Easter was nice--next up...