Thoughts on The Odyssey film-- no real spoilers--
To start with, I fully enjoyed The Odyssey as interpreted and directed by Nolan with such an awesome array of talent. Those who are complaining that it is not "true to the text" are missing the whole point of the story, and as a story rooted in both antiquity and myth, it has to be flexible. No story speaks to 3000 years of people without leaving room for adaptation.
There are things in the text that I miss in the film, but that's because I love the epic poem so much that I know the little things, which are, more than likely, not necessary to the narrative Nolan is spinning for us. There are shifts in the story that clearly show the director's intent, as well. Having Odysseus ponder and regret the effects of war, of breaking the social contract through lies and duplicity and offending the gods because they'd acted against the "laws of Zeus" was a choice that departs from the text. I'm not mad about it. In order for the ancient text to remain relevant, it needs to address our concerns as well.
There are other parts of the film that depart from the epic poem, such as the very end. Those who have read the poem know that Odysseus must pass Penelope's test regarding their marital bed, and that Athena holds back the dawn to grant their reunion one night before he must make another journey in order to expiate his guilt and to honor his fallen comrades. That is not in the film. There's another form of test, and he passes it (I will not provide spoilers!!), and the ending draws more from Tennyson's poem "Ulysses" instead. Instead of planting an oar, Odysseus puts himself into exile (and takes Penelope with him). It's fine by me.
Two stand-out performances come to mind: John Leguizamo as the faithful Eumaeus, and Robert Pattinson as the wily and somewhat creepy Antinous. Yes, Anne Hathaway was really good as Penelope, but I expected her to be. And Matt Damon as Odysseus was solid. Charlize Theron as Calypso was believable as well. In fact, that whole imagining of how Odysseus confronts his mistakes through talking to her (sorry, spoiler) was a good idea on Nolan's part. One more note: I am so pleased that Nolan chose to have Helen an unwilling partner to Menelaus; I always read it that way. Women, serving as political and financial pawns, have a right to be pissed.
And of course, there's a lot more I'd love to say about the film; the story is so large, and three hours (almost) is not nearly enough to tell it. Ultimately, though, I am finding that I'm pondering the bigger ideas that the film brings up, things about culpability of military commanders, guilt, our role in events that we are caught up in, and how sin/guilt can and should be worked through and expiated. And whether we can ever fully repair any of the damages that result from a single person's decisions, especially if they are intended to break the social contract and cause harm for personal reasons.
Hope you see the film. Let's talk!
Hugs and blessings to you all,
C
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!