Coffee, housework, and the classics-- nice day ahead.

Another grey, overcast, somewhat chilly morning. Though it was ten degrees warmer this morning when I got up... progress? The pool stands, draped in heavy covering, a reproach, a distant invitation, a sad commentary on the distance between wish and reality. OK, I just leveled up the pool. I want to be floating and looking at clouds, but instead, I am not. Sigh. Summer does this to me sometimes. 

At least we have no beach vacation plans to be ruined. Or any vacation plans, really. Each day has its own chore list, its own agenda that allows little time for dreaming in the pool, even if it were warm enough. Still, I have just over a month left before stodgy clothes and school requirements horn their way in. Maybe we'll get in the pool again soon. This cool trend is a bummer. (Though there are those cold weather folks who are cheering for the chill. Weirdos.)

Today, after my leisurely cup of coffee and a hot shower, I will be wending my way downtown to meet with a former student who invited me out for coffee. She was always an interesting student -- correction, interesting person-- and she's working on her master's degree in writing. Good for her! There's hope yet for the world. At any rate, it'll be nice to see what she's been up to and what she is working on. 



The only other "pressing" business on my agenda is to wash the kitchen and bathroom floors. Every single time I think I'm going to, I either get far too busy, there's too many people in my house, or it's too damp. They need to be done, though, so I might just push my luck.

And G and I are scheduled to go to the movies tonight to see The Odyssey. I have been enjoying the chatter online about which translation is the best, what is great/ not great/ interesting about the film, and classics in the general sense. What a lovely thought: using social media to actually engage in academic discourse! Hosannah! I am really looking forward to it, as it's something unusual, G and I rarely go out except to grab a quick dinner, and yeah... it's nerdy fun. I want to slide into the almost-three-hour narrative, along for the ride, and see what a master film-maker has done with the story. I understand it's based in some part on Emily Wilson's recent translation, which, to be honest, was not my favorite, but it's got real value as an addition to the tradition. That said, it is bringing a whole lot of interest in the work of female translators, and other shifted lenses on tales from antiquity. I'm all in on that. 

At any rate, that's the plan for the day. Coffee, huswifery, and classics. Nice balance, eh? And avoiding the smut-and-dreck-fest that is in the news. Seriously. People are so predictably disappointing. No better angels present for so many of them. But there are bright spots, as I said: the engagement with classic lit and the remarkable and unexpected historic run of wins for the Red Sox come to mind. And that silly, endearing traffic cone in Boston. Slightly better than cat videos, and definitely better than news recaps.

I hope your day is lovely. Hugs all around. Keep the faith. And there's a quote from the animated film Rango that comes to mind: Now, remember son: stay in school, eat your veggies, and burn everything but Shakespeare.

Good advice, that.

C

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "productive struggle" and a week of hard teaching...April is the cruellest month...

Easter was nice--next up...