Chilly summer mornings, sports, and slow things down, eh?

We had another really great time at The Frost Place, this time with Abbie Kiefer as our guest poet. The open mic was super, too-- this year's poet in residence participated, as did a few other really good readers. It's awesome to end the weekend/start the week with good words in such a lovely location. 

And now it's Monday, and it was 45 degrees when I got up. I'm pretty sure Holly is still going to want to go to swim lessons, even though it's likely to be only about 60 degrees. Crazy kids don't feel the cold. And she starts her one week of pre-K soccer camp today at 3:00 as well. Busy! But in the meantime, I hope to wash floors and maybe bake something-- the house is pretty chilly until the sun comes in the back windows in the afternoon.

So, how about those Red Sox? 13 games in a row, and sweeping teams that everyone else seems to think they should have been pummeled by. I'll take it. It won't last (New England sports fans know these things in their souls), but it's good for right now. It's an antidote to some of the daily horror show in the news. And how about Spain winning the World Cup? They played well. What a wild summer of soccer. My favorite parts, though, were about the Scots and the Norwegian fans' shenanigans. Again, a welcome reprieve from all of the toxicity. 

Speaking of toxicity, the particulates from both wildfire smoke and the local contribution from haying... everyone's skin is itchy, eyes are itchy, sneezing... fun times. And the chilly temps are not nice, either. I'm looking at my pool rather forlornly-- I had hopes of soaking and floating a lot this summer, but it sure doesn't look likely at the moment. Even if the days heat up, the nights are cool, and the water is too chilly. Maybe by the end of this week? I hope so. I am really feeling the pressure of summer rocketing by. 

That all said, it is still summer, and I'm in my nightgown and a sweatshirt, thinking about breakfast. And I don't have to rush. The greatest blessing of summertime is the lack of rushing (though our schedule lately would belie that statement). I'll figure out some time to sit and read. And write. Maybe tomorrow. 

Have a good day, friends. Keep the faith. Hold onto your loved ones.

C



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "productive struggle" and a week of hard teaching...April is the cruellest month...

Easter was nice--next up...