Autumn--soon, but not yet--




While I know that autumn technically does not start for a few more weeks, Mt. Washington had its first snow last night. It's 40 degrees this morning, and leaves are turning here and there--even a few trees are nearly bare. They have been distressed all summer. 

The grass is overly long--it's been too wet to mow, and now it's bent over, heavy with dew. The pool is empty, and will be put away tomorrow. Crickets are everywhere--if there's anything that has flourished, other than the grass, it's crickets. Bazillions of them. 

I have both indoor and outdoor chores to do today. It makes me both glad and sad that the green beans are finally producing. I want to tell them it's better late than never, but yet...but yet. What a wet summer. No squash-- farms that usually have tons of pumpkins and gourds have nothing at all. I may have to figure out some other thing to carve for Halloween this year. The tradition, as started in Scotland, had folks hollowing out turnips-- that sounds like work. The pictures of those turnip lamps are scary, too. I suspect there won't be many turnips, either-- gardens have been too wet for most root crops.

Meg, Holly, and I went to get early-season apples yesterday, and the Macintosh apples made me want to cry. They are so small. Pick-your-own will be limited, if at all, in most orchards this year. We chose not to pick, but instead bought a couple of bags and some donuts. Holly wanted to see goats and piggies and chickens, so she was not disappointed. We'll go back in a couple of weeks, and I hope they'll have cider for sale, and more apples-- I love Cortland apples, and our one tree that actually bore fruit this year does not have enough to do much with. I hope to make a little applesauce and put it in the freezer for Thanksgiving. 

Yes, we'll have a few more warm days. And I'm not quite ready to close the windows at night--I like listening to the sighs of Mother Nature as she goes about putting things aside for the season. 

I should do that, too-- but not yet. Not yet. 

Have a peaceful day,

C

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "productive struggle" and a week of hard teaching...April is the cruellest month...

Easter was nice--next up...